Saginaw, Michigan

This past summer I hired a concrete installer to pour a new driveway at my house. It turned out great and I was very happy with the contractor. Initially, my attention was on the good looking new drive. I soon noticed that the concrete trucks had done massive damage to my private drive. I share this drive with 2 other neighbors. The Coit Avenue Gravel Co. cement trucks had failed to stay in the middle of the asphalt road and completely torn up a 40ft section of road. In a 2nd location with edge damage, I even found a large pile of cement where they obviously cleaned out their spillway. The actually cleaned out their equipment for a job on my neighbors property. My neighbor was very upset about the trash left behind and even more upset about the damage they caused to our road. These drivers are well aware of the fact the they need to stay in the middle of the road as it is thicker there.

After numerous attempts to get Coit Avenue Gravel to fix the damage, they finally just said, "Go ahead and sue us, we don't care." So do we take the chance an sue them and waste tons of time and money, or just pay to have it fixed. We have estimates up to $2,500 to repair. A lawyer and court fees could easily hit that.

Obviously we won't use Coit Avenue Gravel again and will be on site for future pours. If you are having work done, please ask that they not use Coit. They were terrible in how they handled this situation. Also remember to spell out everything in your contract and take photos before and after.

Had an Experience with Coit Avenue Gravel Company?

Comments

Ryewmi
#422087

@Lora - First of all, no one, unrelated to Coit would spend that much time defending their actions.

Now, you are making assumption about the situation that aren't true. If you had read clearly, you would understand that the damage happened to a shared private dr (Cul De Sac) that was in place long before I purchased my home. I installed a concrete drive for the exact benefits you state.

You should also understand that asphalt drives are designed to have more thickness where the heaviest traffic patterns are(especially in small private drives). Operating a concrete truck requires a commercial license, which, in order to get, drivers must be aware of how to handle their vehicle on varying road surfaces. Your opinion on this matter is based on a lack of information. We have had numerous heavy truck (moving, weekly garbage pickup, and landscapers) and they have no problem navigating our two lane drive without issue.

Maybe you should educate yourself on the matter before challenging someone who clearly stated a reasonable complaint and received terrible customer service.

I'm done. The complaint wil not go away. I'm glad you've proven it easy to find so others can avoid Coit as well. I spent $2200 fixed their mistake. Now they can pay.

Ryewmi
#422018

It's a private Cul De Sac. Yes I do expect them to remain in the middle as they are trained.

Lora
#422007

Fist of all, i do not work for or have ever worked for Coit Ave. or any concrete company. although, i do work for a materials testing company.

but in my eyes, if the road was built properly it shouldn't have failed. middle or edges.

it probably would have happened no matter what cement truck company would have pulled on site.

also, the road would have definitely held up better if it would have been poured concrete and not asphalt. most people go with asphalt because its cheaper and not taking into consideration or looking at the long term life of the road. asphalt takes more maintenance and is short lived compared to concrete.

concrete, on the other hand, lasts much longer and has less maintenance and if put in correctly can withstand much heavier loads. but it is more expensive, but will outlast that cheaper asphalt hands down!

Erica

You expect them to stay in the middle of traffic?